10 Days — A Little Reminiscing.

There are officially 10 days left until my little boy turns 1.

Of course I’ll do a “1 Year Old Baby” update, and then probably a “1st Birthday Party” update — so I wanted to just do a quick post to say, wow.

Wow, you guys. He’s about to be 1 year old. How did this happen?

Wait, I know how.

Last year at this time, I was MISERABLE. Already having contractions — but not due until February 21st (obviously we didn’t hold out that long). My baby shower was January 16th and it was wonderful. Not long after that day we finished up the nursery.  There was still stuff to do, but my doctor reassured me every week that this baby did NOT look like he was coming early.

Despite the PAIN that I was in every single day — the back pain, the hip pain, ridiculously swollen legs and feet, the contractions that happened the ENTIRE time I was at work… I was fine to continue working full days, standing on my feet, until late at night.

Then, January 26th came. I was at work and it was early evening and starting to snow outside. The store was dead and the other girl who was with me just stood around with me while we chatted. I got out around 6 and my husband picked me up — we knew snow was moving in and I never drove when it snowed. We stopped at the store on the way home but I could barely hold myself up while I waddled around — the contractions were still there and the pain was pretty bad. But, the doctor said it was normal. We got home a little later, had dinner, watched tv, went to bed.

I was happy to wake up on the 27th — it was my day off. The plans for the day were to stay in — there was snow everywhere. And I had baby laundry to do and my hospital bag to pack. I got up at 7:30am and felt “weird.” I went to the bathroom and there I stood — in the middle of the room, sweatpants around my ankles — not having ANY idea what was happening to me.

“Honey…??” I yelled. He was sleeping. “Ummm, HONEY!? I PEE’D MY PANTS!”

Yep, you guessed it! My water broke. Husband called the doctor’s office and waited for him to call back. Water broke? He told me to head to the hospital. So hubby went outside and snow-blowed the driveway so we could actually get the truck out, I attempted to pack a bag (I was nervous — I ended up in the hospital with an almost-empty bag) and he made the drive IN THE SNOW in less than 20 minutes. It’s atleast a 30 minute drive.

Needless to say, I was in labor. This is not my birth story, so I’m not going to write out every detail. Instead, I will say that 17 very painful hours later, on January 28th, at 12:24am, I had a baby boy.

And now, here we are — almost one year later. This little boy is a happy almost-toddler. And I’m still not sure where that entire 1st year went.


Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s